Special Events Assistant
Job Duration: 15 weeks, 35 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: May 19th, 2020
Anticipated End Date: August 28th, 2020
Number of positions: 1
The Sharon Temple National Historic Site and Museum is an open-air museum with 8 heritage buildings and two interpretive buildings on-site. The ideal candidate has an interest in history and tourism, with either programming or event planning experience. The ideal candidate will be creative, energetic and a self-starter, with excellent customer service and organizational skills.
Primary Job Functions:
- Assist in the planning, promoting and implementation of our seasonal events including Heritage Celebration, Pigs n’ Pints, Canada Day Celebration, and Illumination.
- Assist with day-of coordination for weddings, concerts and special events on weekends, leading special event set up and acting as the point of contact.
- Assist in front of house service, including welcoming visitors, processing admissions and providing gift shop sales, completing gift shop inventories and providing site tours.
- Further the preservation of our heritage buildings and artifact collection through basic preventive conservation and maintenance.
- Provide interpretation to the public through tours, education and outreach programs.
- Special events and program preparation.
- Assist Staff with daily attendance tracking, gift shop inventory, and cash balancing.
- Conduct daily and weekly preventative maintenance checks on historic buildings.
- Provide support and day-of coordination for wedding and rental preparation.
- Provide support as needed to other staff members.
- Other tasks, as required.
- Currently enrolled or graduated from post-secondary studies in a related field, such as Special Event Management, Tourism, Marketing, Fundraising, Communications, Recreation and Leisure, Museum Studies or Education.
- The ideal candidate will have an interest in the career fields of Event Planning, Tourism or Marketing.
- Previous experience working with the public in a structured setting, in a paid and/or volunteer capacity.
- Candidate must be between the ages of 15-30 and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Must possess or be willing to train for Standard First Aid and CPR.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain a Vulnerable Sectors Screening.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain SmartServe Certification.
- Be prepared to work a variety of shifts, including weekends, and evenings.
The Sharon Temple National Historic Site and Museum is located north of Toronto on 4.5 acres. As this is a large site with multiple buildings, the candidate will be required to move between these buildings and around the site as needed to conduct various activities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject Line: Special Events Assistant - [Last Name]
Deadline for Applications: March 20th, 2020 at 5:00 pm
This position is dependent on receiving funding through Canada Summer Jobs. The Sharon Temple National Historic Site and Museum always encourages the Government of Canada’s job equity groups to apply.We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.