Heritage Garden Assistant (Summer 2020)
Job Duration: 15 weeks
Anticipated Start Date: May 19th, 2020
Anticipated End Date: August 28th, 2020
Number of positions: 1
The Sharon Temple National Historic Site and Museum is an open-air museum with 8 heritage buildings and two interpretive buildings on-site. In 2018, the museum received funding to create a sustainable community garden in which seniors and youth could become involved in designing and creating. We are looking for someone who wants to join our team to help maintain the gardens created from this grant, and help with other duties as assigned like special events, tours, and site maintenance. The ideal candidate has an interest in landscaping, gardening, agriculture and sustainable gardening practices. The ideal candidate will be energetic and a self-starter, with excellent communication skills and time management skills.
Primary Job Functions:
- Responsible for leading the design and maintenance of the Accessible and Sustainable Heritage Vegetable Garden on site during the 2020 summer season.
- Primary responsibility for the care of butterfly gardens, worm gardens, and a chicken coop.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of special events in relation to the Museum’s seasonal events.
- Develop programming for youth aged 7-12, related to nature and the environment and utilizing the gardens, chickens and Museum grounds as support for camp staff.
- Assist in front of house service, including welcoming visitors, processing admissions and providing gift shop sales, when necessary.
- Maintain Site’s gardens and landscaping, daily.
- Site maintenance and set up as required.
- Provide support as needed to other staff members.
- Work with volunteers to coordinate donations and garden maintenance.
- Other tasks, as required.
- Currently enrolled or graduated from post-secondary studies in a related field, such as horticulture food and farming, sustainable gardening, community gardening, or heritage gardening.
- The ideal candidate will have an interest in the career fields of Horticulture or similar program or of Museums Studies, Education with strong interest in agriculture and gardening.
- Previous experience working with the public in a structured setting, in a paid and/or volunteer capacity.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work with animals such as chickens.
- Candidate must be between the ages of 15-30 and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Must possess or be willing to train for Standard First Aid and CPR.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain a Vulnerable Sectors Screening.
- Be prepared to work a variety of shifts, including weekends, and evenings.
The Sharon Temple National Historic Site and Museum is located north of Toronto on 4.5 acres. As this is a large site with multiple buildings, the candidate will be required to move between these buildings and around the site as needed to conduct various activities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject Line: Heritage Garden Assistant - [Last Name]
Deadline for Applications: March 20th, 2020 at 5:00 pm
This position is dependent on receiving funding through Canada Summer Jobs. The Sharon Temple National Historic Site and Museum always encourages the Government of Canada’s job equity groups to apply.We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.